History and Organization
Bedford Middle School is situated on approximately ten acres of land in the city of Bedford on the corner of Longwood Avenue and Peaks Street. The building was originally built in 1928 to serve as Bedford High School. In 1964, with the completion of Liberty High School, the building was converted to Bedford Elementary School. Following extensive renovations in the summer of 1989, it was once again converted. This time it became Bedford Middle School for students in grades seven and eight. Our organization structure centers on the core subjects areas. Teachers of the same core areas plan together to organize and align the curriculum to best meet the Standards of Learning. The school is essentially two schools in one, with seventh grade classrooms on the second floor while the eighth grade is assigned to the first floor and ground level. This arrangement allows for the most part, a separation of student populations in the halls. Classrooms are also located in the gymnasium. These classes include the foreign language departments, health/p.e. classrooms, band, and art. 5
The official school day begins at 8:25 a.m. when all students report directly to their homebase classroom. Academic extension classes will be implemented to reinforce the Standards of Learning. Core classes include: math, science, social studies/history, and language arts. The related arts classes include band, computer, technology, art, study skills, personal finance, introduction to foreign cultures, health/p.e. Spanish and French are also included as class offerings. Bedford Middle School serves students from Bedford, Montvale, Big Island, and Thaxton Elementary Schools.